I've been in Itally for a few days now and have made many memories here. I don't have time to write them all down here, but I will share some with you.
One that I've made was... I bought my firt souveneer!!! Yup! I bought Aveiators!! (those big, old school sunglasses) I bought them from a street vender here. There are so many venders in Catania and they all sell the exact same things. There are typically 4-5 venders per block and they all sell sunglasses or CDs. And the exact same brands and everything! I can't imagin how they can make a living off doing this because of the compatition.
I also had my first Itallian kiss. This one I think I may have to explain further. My friend, Chelanna (also from BC), and I were walking around Catania and taking photos. We stopped by come ruins at the center of the city and were goofing off taking photos. An Italian man was watching us and asked if we wanted his photo. He then motioned that he wanted us also in the photo. So I, having the camera (and being a bit scetched out by Italian men) got Chelanna to go for the photo. That was all great, what a great thing for a souveneer: a photo with a real Italian! (ya, that was a bit sarcastic) Then he wanted one with me. So I went there and smiled for the photo and just as the shutter clicked he kissed me!!! Woah! That came out of no where! (And, for all you parents and adults out there, don't worry, it was just on the cheek.) So that was awkward because I had no clue what to say to the guy afterwards. It is kinda their culture to be like that but also its not mine at all! So anyways... ya... I got the most odd looking photo out of the adventure.
Hmm... what else.. Oh! Did you guys know that they eat horse here? Some friends and I are going to get some later when we have our cameras. Aperently it tastes fairly good... But it's still horse. The way that I see it is that when else do I have the chance?
Me and Chelanna (we've had many experiences together in a short time) also found ourselves wondering around Catania one day. We found ourselves in a dumpy part of town (that we soon got out of--chill guys) but I found the neatest photo there. There was a old, beat up builing that we passed, and as I walked by I saw that someone had placed a long stem rose on the door step. It was old and withered and really sad looking. Forgotten Love. Very Italian.
Love is actually a key theme that runs loose among the city. Everywhere you go there are couples passionatly in love...kinda grose...but very Italian. And everything that you've heard about Itally is true. %90 of all stores here are clothing or shoe stores. Everyone looks like modles. And as one of my ship mates stated, "Itally is one huge cigiret comercial." Everyone looks like modles and smokes.
Well I want to write a few emails before I head back to my ship. So I just want to say that I miss all of you very much and you are still very much a part of my life here on the other side of the world. I keep you in my prayers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
So comparatively what is better? The Italian kiss? or my Canadian kiss? :P you dont have to answer that I already know :) Love you hun!
Hey Tasha. I know what its like to be kissed by a stranger, when I was in Paris I got kissed on the cheek by I older man who drew my portrait, no one got it on camera though.
Post a Comment