Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Greese - The Smelly City

Posted by Tasha =)

Hey everyone!!!  So I have arrived in Athens, Greece after two very long days of travel (I left on Monday and it is now Wednsday)!  My flights went fairly well.  Nothing too exciting.  All my flights were late but I always had tons of time to get to my next one.  


Athens is....well would be a beautiful city, but there is a general strike on right now.  There is garbage everywhere, because the garbage trucks haven't been running in a week and a half!  I saw a pile of garbage that was about as long as a stretch bus and taller than me!!  It's descusting.  But looking beyond the garbage and the smell it really is beautiful here.  Athens is quite a hilly city so when you're coming down a street on a hill you can see lots of the city below you.  Most of the houses are white and the roads are extreamly narrow.  Oarange trees and olive trees line the roads and add a bit of colour to the whitewashed look of the place.  There are doves and pigions everywhere.  The people here are friendly but crazy drivers!  As a pedestrian you have to watch out because you do not have the right of way.  Drivers get pretty anoyed at you if you cross the road and make them stop.  Also the white doted lines in the road don't mean anything. If there is room for four lanes of traffic on a three lane road it = four lanes.  

Tomorrow morning I am taking a bus to a town called Kiato, Greece.  I am meeting up with some other students who are also doing Bluewater (the name of the program I am taking with YWAM).  We were going to take a train but, unfortunatly, with the strike the trains aren't going.  I just thank God that the Bus is still going (they went going today).  

So my adventure continues to be...adventurous?  But I will be so happy to settle into the boat and sleep in "my own" bunk.  I am so tired of traveling, just running off the excitement of traveling.  I miss you all so much!  Please stay in touch and tell other people who know me about my blog.  I will try my best to keep it updated.  

0 comments: