Monday, May 5, 2008

Sail gone bad, Arrive in Españia! and Out reaches desided!!

Posted by Tasha =)

Hey everyone.

So we had our first "real" sailing adventure/misshap on our way over to Ibiza. On our way, only a few hours into the sail, our engin konked out. Bad news. Becase out with the engin also went our power. Meaning now lights, no water, no radar, and no nothin. Thankfully the Next Wave is a sail boat so we were able to sail while we desided what was to be done. We radioed coast gaurd and they said that we could anchore off the shores of Sant Antioco (a small island off the coast of sardinia). So that was good. As we were sailing though we must have hit a current and we began to be pushed into a cliff. We started to get dangerously close and tryed everything to get out of there. We put up new sails and took some down, we even got the dingy out to try to push/pull the bow north, but it wouldnt budge. I dont think Ive prayed to hard in a loong time! Then, a few hours later, the bow simply swung north and we were on our way away from the cliffs!! God's hand was deffenently at work!! Thank you Lord!

We got to Sant Antioco for the night and set down our anchore. Man were we glad for a rest!!! Durning my anchore watch early in the morning, a fishing boat came up alongside and the fishermen stated yelling at me! I had no idea what they were saying. I went below to find one of the crew members who knew some Italian and he took it from there. Aperently we had set our anchore down on their nets and they were not happy about it at all. To make a long story short, they made a big deal of it, got coast gaurd, went away and when we were passed through the coast guard custums we brought up out anchor, cut her loose and went into the harbour.

We were in Sant Antioco for some days because we were completely out of fuel.

We left Sant Antioco on friday evening and finally set sails for Ibiza, Españia! This was the best sail that I have ever had!!! The sail was very pleasent with a hot sun and light breeze. I had the 5-8 watch so I got to watch the sunrise everymorning. A sinrise on the sea is sooo incredible because the sun is huge and round and red. And comes strait out of the sea, no nothin to hide it. Yesterday while I was sleeping in the morning the watches sighted whales and dolphns and even sea turtles. I was disapointed to have missed them. But God is so good!!! In the evening he sent us another turtle and a whole pod of dolphins who did a show for us! Jumping out of the water and swimming barrol roles! It was amazing!!!!

We got into Ibiza city, Ibiza early this morning. We are still trying to find a spot for the boat. Ibiza is a huge city! Im soooo excited to be in Spian!!!!!

Oh and for out reach we have teams now. I am on the Portugal/Dominican Republic team!!! And very excited to be going!!! There are 9 students and 3 leaders going. I am looking forward to what God is going to do durning the out reach.

I hope that you are all doing well. I have found really cheep internet here and there is even free wireless on the boat. Hopefully we will find a good place to birth. God continues to bless us and show us his beauty.

3 comments:

Aaron Denninger said...

seems like your little adventure there is becoming more of an adventure now eh? That is cool how you guys got cheep internet now, hopefully I will see you on a little more now :D

Love you Much
Aaron

Tasha =) said...

ya and I forgot to mention in this last post about the explosives. haha ya, we were floating through an area where explosives were dumped. haha God sure comes through when we need him to, eh?

Aaron Denninger said...

Explosives eh? wow hmm that is pretty intense. Well I am sure glad you guys did make it through I do want my Tash back in one piece.

Love ya
Cant wait for you to come back